In this listening comprehension task, you are going to listen to an ESL kitchen video with simple instructions on how to poach an egg.
Join our mailing list to receive a free ESL teaching resource every week.
Video link: https://youtu.be/bOnmVFww6gc
To warm up, answer the questions with ESL kitchen vocabulary in Exercise A (ESL kitchen utensils included), then play the video, and answer the questions in exercises B and C.
Read the questions before answering to make sure you understand them.
Watch the video:
A. Exercise: Vocabulary
- Write the correct verb in the empty box below the picture.
- Match the verbs (A-L) with the correct nouns (1-12).
- mash 1. a bowl
- chop 2. a knife
- grate 3. a whisker
- stir 4. a grater
- rack 5. a cooking spoon
- knead 6. a kitchen counter
- pour 7. a strainer
- whisk 8. a peeler
- mix 9. a cutting board
- drain 10. a ricer
- peel 11. a mixer
- slice 12. measuring cup
B. Exercise: Multiple Choice Questions
Listen and choose the correct letter.
1. To poach something means:
- to cook it in a pot
- to boil it
- to cook it in liquid
2. To make poached eggs, we need 2 fresh eggs, 1L water and:
- 1 L of vinegar
- a wooden cooking spoon
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
3. We serve the poached eggs on:
- butter and bread
4. First you light the stove and then:
- you put a frying pan on the stove
- you fry the egg on the stove
- you put a pot on the stove
5. The water is simmering when:
- it is boiling
- there are bubbles but it’s not very hot
- it is ready for boiling
6. Use a spoon to:
- mix the water
- whisk the water
- stir the water
7. When the toast is ready:
- spread some butter on it
- melt some butter on it
- put some butter on it
8. Before you put the egg on the toast, you have to:
- mash it
- drain it
- stir it
9. The yellow part of the egg is called:
- egg yellow
10. This part of the egg should be:
C. Exercise: Scrambled Sentences
Read the scrambled sentences, then put them in the correct order to complete a pancake recipe. Write the correct recipe on the lines below.
|1 Whisk the eggs, then add the milk, a bit of salt, and flour. Stir well.|
|2 Ingredients: 2 eggs, 250 ml milk, 150 ml flour, a bit of oil, a pinch of salt.|
|3 Use a spatula to fry the pancake on both sides.|
|4 Crack the eggs in a bowl.|
|5 Serve hot or cold with a topping on the side.|
Download this worksheet in Word and PDF doc format (zipped)