Struggling to find good ESL questions to do a class about technology?
Now no longer! We’ve compiled a list of questions for you and your students to practice speaking, writing and exchanging ideas — no matter what age or level they are!
With technology reaching every part of our lives, it is getting increasingly important to prepare your students to get used to the topic.
Join our mailing list to receive a free ESL teaching resource every week.
Tips on Using Technology Questions in the Classroom
You can put students into pairs or small teams, or discuss the questions in class. Another option is to ask your students individually to write down some phrases. Later they can present their results in class.
By using these questions, your students will learn new vocabulary in the context of technology. This will help them in daily lives and especially in business.
General Technology Questions
This set of questions will help your students to get a brief overview over the topic “technology”.
- What is technology?
- What do you think of when you hear the word ‘technology’?
- How has technology changed in the past?
- How has technology changed your life?
- Could you live without technology?
- What technological achievement was the best?
- What do you think technology will be like in the future?
- What are the advantages of technology?
- What are the disadvantages of technology?
- Which new technological tool are you looking forward to?
- What do you think will be the next biggest technological advance?
Opinion and Discussion Technology Questions
Your students can exchange opinions and ideas using these questions. It’s also perfect to start a conversation.
- At what age should children get a cell phone?
- How many hours a day should children be allowed to use electric devices?
- What are the disadvantages of using technology?
- Do you think people rely too much on technology?
- What do you think about online shopping?
- Does technology make society lazy?
- Do you prefer Windows or Apple computers?
- Do you prefer to text your friends or call them?
- What do you think of today’s technology? Do we use it the right way?
- Do you think that technology controls and spies on us?
- How can countries help to create more inventors?
- Is there a piece of technology that you are afraid of that might exist in the future? (artificial intelligence, flying cars)
- Which technology has made the world worse?
- What are the possibilities of technology in clothing?
- What is the future of transportation?
- What do you think old people think of modern technology?
- How has technology changed society?
- Do you think modern technology reduces or increases stress? Why?
- Do you think robots will cause unemployment in the future? Why? Why not?
- What do you think about GMO (genetically modified organisms) food?
- What changes would you like to see science make to the world?
Personal Technology Questions
These questions will give students the possibility to talk or write about their personal background of using technology.
- At what age did you have your first cell phone? Which one was it? What did you like about it?
- What is the most important technology device in your daily life?
- How often do you use a cell phone?
- Do you think you are addicted to technology, like social media or your cell phone?
- Which social networks do you use? Why?
- Are you shopping online? Why and how often?
- What device do you use to watch TV, Netflix or other TV shows?
- How much time do you spend online every day?
- How often do you play video games?
- Do you usually buy apps in GoogleStore or AppStore?
- What is your favorite website?
- Do you stream music? Why? Why not?
- Do you use a smartwatch? Why? Why not?
- What moment do you remember, when you were let down by technology?
- Are you afraid of technology in the future?
- Are you giving out lots of personal data?
- What do you know about Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
- Have you used the Internet to learn English?
- How have technological advances affected our life?
- What science fiction movies have you seen? Which ones did you like? Why?
Controversial Questions about Technology in the Future
- Will advancements in artificial intelligence lead to a loss of jobs for humans?
- Should governments regulate the development and use of autonomous weapons?
- Will virtual reality become a primary form of entertainment and communication in the future?
- Should there be limits placed on the use of facial recognition technology by law enforcement?
- Will the increasing use of technology lead to a loss of privacy for individuals?
- Should there be limits on the use of genetic engineering to modify human embryos?
- Will the widespread use of drones have a negative impact on personal privacy and security?
- Should companies that collect large amounts of personal data be required to provide greater transparency about how that data is used?
- Will the increasing dependence on technology lead to a loss of critical thinking skills in individuals?
- Will the increasing use of automation in various industries lead to a widening income gap and increased social inequality?
These questions are perfect to include into your conversation lessons. You can go in detail by using our Artificial Intelligence Questions. Another great option to start conversations are “Would You Rather” Questions or these fun speaking activities.