In this listening comprehension worksheet, you are going to listen to videos about travel and means of transport. The speakers will talk about getting around, public transport, driving, and air travel. (Free download available.)
Join our mailing list to receive a free ESL teaching resource every week.
Think about how you usually get around and travel and what means of transport you use regularly. Answer the questions in Exercise A and Exercise B.
Read the questions briefly before answering to make sure you understand them.
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGDTOm3xRk
A. Exercise one – Multiple Choice Questions
Listen and choose the correct answer.
- What public transport does Speaker A usually use?
- metro, car, bicycle
- metro, tram, bus
- metro, bus
- How does Speaker B usually get around in the city?
- Speaker B cycles and takes the metro.
- Speaker B walks and drives a car.
- Speaker B cycles and walks.
- What does Speaker B think of cycling?
- It is fast but dangerous.
- It helps you not get stuck in traffic.
- It is faster than the metro.
- Why does Speaker A prefer the metro?
- Because she knows all the stops.
- Because it is superfast.
- Because she knows how long it will take.
- Why does Speaker B dislike the metro?
- Because it is too slow.
- Because it is always crowded.
- Because it is crowded during rush hour.
B. Exercise two – Open-Cloze Questions
Listen and fill in the blanks.
Speaker A lives on the (1)______ metro line. If she wants to visit Speaker B, she can take that line and change to the blue line in the center for 2 stops or (2) ______ a bus.
The bus is a better option, so she will take Bus number 27 and get (3) ______ at October Square. The bus (4) ______ from the bus (5) ______ that is right (6) ______ the subway station.
The buses are very (7) ______ and Speaker A will wait no more than 10 minutes. It is Friday night and both buses and the subway run late, so she can return home later in the evening.
C. Exercise three – Sentence Formation
Write the correct numbers to make correct sentences.
|1||The drive was||second-hand.|
|2||The drive took||they run on fuel.|
|3||A hybrid car is great for long trips because||a bit slow but smooth.|
|4||Speaker A bought her car||it is very efficient.|
|5||Bigger cars can be expensive because||about 4 hours.|
D. Exercise four – True or False?
Listen and circle “T” for true, or “F” for false. Write the correct answers in the lines below (only for questions answered as false).
1. Speaker A and B need to sell their tickets.
2. Direct flights are more expensive.
3. The cheaper tickets have a 4-hour layover.
4. Speaker A and Speaker B will not take any checked bags.
5. The “Green Jet” airline doesn’t serve food or drinks.