Get up to 60% off your TEFL course. Request Voucher

How To Get a South Korea Work Visa (E2 English Teaching Visa)

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, or apply for a job, we earn a compensation at no extra costs for you.

Westerners, who want to teach English in South Korea, need an E2 South Korea work visa. To qualify for an E2 visa, you must meet strict requirements, bring your documents and find a job first. This post walks you through the tricky process of applying for a South Korea work visa.

South Korea is one of the most popular destinations for teaching English and for good reason. Schools there offer some of the best salaries, benefits, and opportunities to save money.

While the market to teach English in Korea has shrunken considerably in recent years, there are still jobs to teach if one meets the right requirements and South Korea remains a hot spot for teaching abroad. Just in the capital of Seoul alone, there are an estimated 24,000 foreign English teachers at any given time.

Read our comprehensive guide on teaching English in South Korea.

Each of those Western instructors can tell you that getting the E2 South Korea work visa in hand before arriving in the country takes some diligence, patience, and research. In case you are wondering, an E2 visa is the work visa assigned by the Korean government for foreign English teachers.

There is an array of visas available, but if you are successful in landing a job, you will ultimately receive an E2 visa from your nearest Korean consulate before boarding that plane and hugging your friends and family goodbye.

How Long Does It Take to Get an E2 Work Visa?

In order to get an E2 visa, there are several steps that must be taken. How long it takes for one to receive a visa is really dependent on how quickly you can gather the necessary documents, processing time and fortunate or unfortunate luck. Nevertheless, expect it to take between two to six months.

If you are serious about teaching English in South Korea, it is better to be on the safe side and begin preparing six months out. But don’t worry. If you are a procrastinator like me, you might get away with three or four months with a little good fortune from the visa gods!

How to Qualify for an E2 South Korea Work Visa

In order to get an E2 visa to work in Korea, you obviously have to find a school that will hire you. Before a school will consider your application, some requirements have to be met.

  • First, you must be a native English speaker and…
  • a citizen of the United States, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
  • In addition, you must have a university degree from an accredited school in one of the above-mentioned countries and…
  • a clean criminal record!

There are no exceptions to these three requirements when it comes to getting an E2 work visa in South Korea. Personally, I think the Korean government is too strict, but that is just my opinion.

While you do not need any experience to get a job there other than the requirements listed above, age is certainly an issue when trying to land a job in Korea. Many schools prefer young, inexperienced teachers fresh out of college so they can pay them a lower salary. It is certainly possible to get a job in Korea if you are over 30, but you must have prior teaching experience.

There are opportunities for better-paying jobs and non-teaching positions for experienced individuals, but it may take time and networking to reach that point. For a good source to search for jobs to teach English in Korea, check out Dave’s ESL Cafe Korean Job Board.

Documents You Need to Bring

Criminal Background Check

First, you will need to show a clean criminal record, which requires a criminal background check that has been apostilled. There are no expectations to this as your criminal check must come back squeaky clean. Minor things will not show up, but if you were ever fingerprinted and formally arrested,  you will not be able to teach in South Korea. A DUI will show up. Keep in mind that processing criminal background checks can be quite time-consuming.

120-hour TEFL Course: Now 60% Off

The accredited Let's TEFL online course including guaranteed job placement is now available for an unrivaled price!

Get Your Discount

For United States Citizens

  • You must get an FBI background check and have it apostilled to teach English in Korea.
  • First, have your fingerprints taken and send them with the application for a criminal background check to FBI headquarters. Processing time for this can take 8 to 10 weeks.
  • In order to expedite this process, you can use an approved FBI channeler, which will allow you get the results of your FBI background check within a few days for a reasonable fee.
  • Once you have your FBI background check in hand, you must have it apostilled by the department of state. This can take a few weeks to process, but again there are agencies that expedite this process for a fee.
  • Your FBI background check can be no older than 6 months when applying for a visa.

For Canadian Citizens

  • A notarized & verified copy of a Certified Criminal Record Check must be submitted by Canadian citizens.
  • This copy can be no older than 6 months
  • Canadians must submit a national-level fingerprint check
  • Electronic submissions are acceptable and take only 10-12 days as opposed to mailing it in, which can take up to 12 weeks.

For UK citizens

  • UK citizens must get an apostilled copy of a Basic Disclosure that can be no older than 6 months.
  • In order to request a Basic Disclosure, the following items must be provided; passport, driving license or national insurance number in addition to a utility bill, previous disclosure, addresses of previous 5 years.
  • The process generally takes two weeks to receive a Basic Disclosure.
  • Citizens of Ireland must obtain an apostilled copy of a Police Certificate obtained by the Gardai issued within the past 6 months. This process generally takes 3-4 weeks.

For Citizens of Australia and New Zealand

  • Citizens of Australia must obtain an apostilled copy of a National Police Check, which generally takes around 3 weeks. This copy must not be older than 6 months.
  • Citizens of New Zealand must obtain an apostilled copy of a criminal record check from the Ministry of Justice. This process generally takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months. This copy must not be older than 6 months.

For Citizens of South Africa

  • Citizens of South Africa must obtain an apostilled copy of a Police Clearance Certificate, which can take upwards to two months. However, there may be services to expedite the process. This police clearance can be not older than 6 months.

Apostilled Copy of Your University Diploma

  • You will need at least a 4-year degree from an accredited university to teach English in  Korea. No exceptions.
  • You must obtain a notarized/certified and apostilled copy of your diploma. Do not send the original copy.

University Transcripts

  • You will need at least 2 sets of officially sealed university transcripts. Do not open them! It might be a good idea to order three copies just in case.

Overview: What You Need to Apply for a South Korea Work Visa

Although you may apply for a job before you gather these documents, most recruiters and schools will not take you seriously until you have these document in hand or are at least in process of gathering them.

Thus, it is imperative that you first work on obtaining a criminal background check. When you can show that you have a clean criminal record, you become officially eligible to teach in South Korea.

Once you find a school that offers you position, they will send you a contract for you to sign. At this point, you are ready to apply for the E2 visa. The following documents listed below along with the above mentioned are required in order to apply.

  • Signed work contract
  • Four color passport size photos
  • Photocopy of the picture page of your passport
  • Apostilled (certified) national level original criminal record check
  • Notarized and apostilled (certified) copy of Bachelor’s degree/diploma
  • Two official transcripts in separate sealed envelopes
  • Health statement with original ink signature
  • Resume

The Work Visa Application Process

At this point, you are pretty much on your way to arriving in South Korea. Once you have a work contract and all required documents, you will need to send these documents to your school.

Do not send them through regular US mail as that can take 6 to 8 weeks and there is a chance that your documents will get lost. In other words, don’t be a cheap bastard! Use a service that will get your docs there quickly and safely, which will cost between $40 to $80.

Getting a Visa Issuance Number

  • Your school will then take your documents to the Korean Ministry of Justice and Immigration to get a Visa Issuance Number.
  • The Korean immigration office will issue a confirmation of your visa issuance number within 7 to 10 working days.
  • This important number will be sent to your recruiter (assuming you are working with one, which is most likely).
  • You will need this number when filling out the visa application form.

Apply at Your Local Korean Consulate

Before your application for an E2 South Korea work visa is processed by the Korean Consulate, you have to send in the following documents and materials:

  • A completed E2 visa application form.
  • A passport with at least 6 months before expiration and with at least one empty page.
  • You will need an additional passport photo to send with your application (2 inches by 2 inches).
  • You must pay a $45 fee by cash or money order.

As per your passport, I recommend it should have at least one and a half year validity, so it does not expire while you are in South Korea. If your passport doesn’t have much time, it might be a good idea to renew it before leaving your home.

120-hour TEFL Course: Now 60% Off

The accredited Let's TEFL online course including guaranteed job placement is now available for an unrivaled price!

Get Your Discount

Once you submit all of the correct items, the consulate will contact you and arrange an interview. You need to visit the consulate for an in-person interview. I guess Korean embassy workers aren’t into Skyping!

Assuming you are not a complete lunatic and haven’t taken 17 bong rips before the interview, you will have your visa in hand and be on your way to South Korea within a matter of days.

On Arrival in South Korea

You must receive a full medical check upon 90 days of arriving in South Korea, which will not be paid for by your school. They will test for HIV, Ebola, and narcotics. There is some ambiguity as to whether or not they are only testing for hard drugs or soft drugs, such as Marijuana. Nonetheless, it is better not to smoke marijuana for at least two months before coming to South Korea.

Are English Schools in South Korea Racist?

Unfortunately, racism is still an issue in South Korea and the rest of Asia. Personally, I stopped recruiting teachers for South Korea due to this problem. However, don’t lose hope! Things are slowly changing for the better and it is possible for non-white teachers to get hired to teach English in Korea. While that last statement is unfortunate, it is reality and one in which myself and others are trying to erode.

If you are a non-white teacher, your best chances are to apply for the EPIK program. This is a government program that places teachers in public schools throughout Korea. From what I know, racism is not an issue with the EPIK program. However, racism is an issue with private language schools (hagwons) throughout the country. While it is not impossible to get hired by a hagwon for non-white applicants, it can be difficult. However, you shouldn’t let racist attitudes deter you from teaching in South Korea.

The reality is that most private language schools in South Korea prefer white Western females. If you are a white woman around the age of 25, then you are the queen B! Better yet, If you are an attractive and intelligent young, white Western woman, hagwons will practically fight over you and each recruiter you contact will respond to your inquiry at lightning speed.

If you are a non-white Western Female, then you have a decent chance of getting hired. This is a sad reality, but hopefully, the perception in Korea of what qualifies one to be a good teacher will change. This, of course, begins with the teachers that are already there doing what they can to eradicate this misguided perception.


As you can see, obtaining an E2 South Korea work visa is a long process that requires patience and organization. If you are serious about teaching there, do your research and begin the process early.

Keep in mind that the English teaching job market in South Korea has become significantly more competitive in the past few years. Your best chances to find employment are in the outer suburbs of Seoul or in the smaller cities and rural areas. A saturation of foreigners in Seoul and Pusan and a slowing Korean economy has made finding a teaching job a bit more challenging. It can also be difficult to find a job in Seoul or Pusan if you are over 35 years of age.

With that being said, if you are really committed to teaching English in South Korea and meet the requirements for a South Korea work visa, I am sure there are ways and good luck!

About James Soller

James Soller taught English for four years in Japan and traveled throughout Asia and South America. These days, he spends most of his time building Wordpress sites, blogging and teaching others the nuances of digital marketing.


  1. Mr K on August 29, 2019 at 3:40 pm

    I’m a 59 year old American, with 13 years of teaching Korean children abroad in Paris, France. I would like to relocate to South Korea next year to begin a new career start there in a hagwon.
    Would there be any realistic possiblity for me?

  2. Zondrah on August 21, 2019 at 7:28 pm

    I’m a 30-year-old brown lady, ethnically Indian but North America-born, who has been looking for jobs in South Korea and Vietnam for 3 months. I’ve received four offers, and I worked my butt off to get those offers! I’m older, have teaching experience, and have published books (including a children’s book), yet some hogwans have never gotten back to me, or have even stood me up for the interview.

    It’s sad to see that Koreans have so many hang-ups that as a Western woman seem totally bizarre to me, just downright weird to be honest. It isn’t a PC country — they will openly ask your age, race, and marital status during job interviews, as well as question your physical and mental health! Also, they’ll ask about piercings and tattoos. Koreans also have strange beauty standards regarding skin colour, size, and eye shape. I find it all so weird!

    However, I’m grateful for the offers that I’ve had, and I know that the job that I chose is the one where I’m meant to be. At the end of the day, I’m doing this all for the children. <3

    • Marcel Jimmy on August 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm

      Thanks for sharing your experiences. Much appreciated!

  3. Abigail on June 10, 2019 at 9:42 pm

    UK citizens with a 3 year degree can enter too, not 4 years. 🙂

    • Marcel Jimmy on June 15, 2019 at 5:48 pm

      Thanks for the note, Abigail!

  4. Victoria on May 11, 2019 at 2:56 am

    Thank you for this information! I’m getting my degree currently so I can become an ESL teacher. The only thing that worries me is the clean bill of health. I don’t do any drugs at all, but I did have cancer and am since in remission. Do you know if a cancer diagnosis could potentially disqualify me? I have spoken with recruiters about this issue but they don’t have a for sure answer since I’m required to take daily medication, even if it is just thyroid hormone.

  5. Marcel on June 20, 2018 at 9:41 am

    Hello Mr. C,

    thank you for your comment. While I am not 100% sure, I think there isn’t an explicit expiry of the notarized diploma.

    Your criminal record may change very quickly, 😉 so it is understandable they want an up to date one.

    But why don’t you inquire your future employer? They should know best!

    All the best to you!


  6. Mr. C on June 20, 2018 at 9:05 am

    Thanks for posting this… I’ve been in Korea 🇰🇷 for 5 years, coming in on an E2.
    It was a real pain to get the documents together the first time but I got there in the end.

    Going through the process again, but this time I’m in Korea (went home a few months and came back on a tourist visa).
    I’ve just passed my documents onto my employer, after 2 months of obstacles.
    It’s now their turn to contact immigration and send the visa documents my behalf, for the next stage.

    You mention that there’s a 6-month expiry on the Criminal record check, is there an expiry on the diploma, after its been notarized by a lawyer?

    My diploma was notorised around 5 months ago (3 months before my CRC) and I’m a little concerned!


Leave a Comment

Get Up to 60% Off Your TEFL Course

Sign Up Now to Receive Two Vouchers For  Online or In-Class TEFL Courses and Secure Your Huge Discount!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Get Up to 60% Off Your TEFL Course

Sign Up Now to Receive Two Vouchers For  Online or In-Class TEFL Courses and Secure Your Huge Discount!

You have Successfully Subscribed!